Loading..

Neuves Maisons

PRODUCTION SITES

1872: The Société Métallurgique de Haute Moselle (Metallurgy Society of Haute Moselle) was founded on March 1, 1872 by 18 directors (owners, industrialists, engineers, philosophers), mostly from Nancy. They included, in particular, Victor de Lespinats, civil engineer of the Mines de Paris. Their goal was to build and operate blast furnaces on the 5.5-hectare site they had purchased from Neuves-Maisons (Meurthe et Moselle Department), and to discover and operate an ore deposit.
After the war of 1870, France lost the iron lands of the Lorraine and almost all its steel factories, and therefore needed to invest in new sites. This site was chosen because of the presence of the Nancy-Dijon railway, which connects the plant to the Eastern Railway network and the proposed southern branch of the Eastern Canal. The goal was to build a cast iron mill that would use the abundant iron ore under the nearby Haye Plateau. To this end, the Company acquired land at the intersection of the Nancy-Dijon railway line and the route planned for the Eastern Canal (that was being planned at the time).

 

1914 - 1918: World War I did not shut down Neuves-Maisons activities, at the time the only remaining steel factory in the East to be working for National Defense, despite numerous bombings, which earned it a citation in the Official Gazette.
1922 - 1939: Investments resume after the war: coke furnaces, gas blower, wire train in 1922... but were again interrupted by the Second World War.
1947: New coke furnaces, a more powerful thermal power plant (250,000 KW), a continuous billet train and a continuous wire train were installed.
1955: The Neuves-Maisons plants, the Vaucouleurs lime kilns and the Sainte Colombe and Vierzon wireworks replaced the Compagnie des Forges de Chatillon-Commentry and Neuves-Maisons under the name Société des Aciéries et Tréfilerie de Neuves-Maisons Chatillon (Steel and Wireworks of Neuves-Maisons Chatillon). The first continuous two-line wire mill was built to manufacture 330 to 440 kg coils or straight bars.
1981: Merger with USINOR (nationalization of the steel industry: Usinor-Sacilor): the "long products" business is reorganized. A new O.B.M. converter was built with two 125-ton converters.

 

The SAM plant at NEUVES-MAISONS (Meurthe et Moselle) produced billets from continuous casting, further producing hot rolled concrete reinforcing stretched coils, wire rod, hot rolled concrete reinforcing coils.

Related topics